A student of Linguistics Department of the University of Ibadan, Iyanda Temidayo, has revealed everything that happened where he was acting as Sango (god of Thunder) on a stage play in school.
Temidayo in an interview with Nigerian Tribune‘s KEHINDE OLADAPO explained that he did the Sango display to remind people of the Yoruba art and culture when the unusual accident occurred.
On how the incident happened, he said, “When I decided to perform Sango, I consulted a Theatre Arts student who taught me everything, from Sango dance steps to bata dance. Unfortunately, in the video that was released, the bata dance was not there. The fire accident happened at the end of the performance. When it got to the fire part, I did not know what I was doing again; it was as if I was possessed.
“My colleague tried to put out the fire but he could not. It appeared to be a supernatural thing and I don’t think there is a way you could match the supernatural. At that moment, he could not take the burning stick I was holding from me. When I was spinning, the gin my friend was holding acccidentally spilled on my costume, and when I brought the burning stick close to myself, it caught fire. Fortunately, my face did not burn. The Sango costume also did not burn. It was as fresh as it was when it was given to me. It was not petrol that was in my mouth but gin. After the accident, I wanted to continue but they rushed me to the school clinic, Jaja. The doctors said it was not something they could handle, so they referred me to the Burns Unit of the University College Hospital. There, I got a very good treatment. The care they gave me there was unbelievable. It was impressive.”
He said he was not the only one that caught fire in the incident. “My friend, Kunle, who played the role of Adele Sango and who is in the same department with me, also did when he noticed that I was on fire and tried to put it out. He ran off stage for air and the fire went off. Then, he came back on stage to save me, although the video did not show it. Timileyin also caught fire. When Kunle caught fire, he was the one that helped him quench the fire. Kunle was treated and he resumed classes the next Monday. My case was serious, so I have not been able to attend classes for more than two weeks now. I am still at home.”
Temidayo said the burns are healing and the pain has reduced.