Though governorship candidates of each of the political parties in Oyo State will pick their deputies after emerging from primary, Inside Oyo presents names of those that may be picked as deputy governorship candidates as Oyo 2019 beckons.
1) Olatubosun George Oladele: The igbeti-born politician currently represents Irepo/Oorelope/Olorunsogo federal constituency in the House of Representatives under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC). The Ife-trained lawyer was a commissioner and a former youth leader of the Action Congress of Nigeria. He is gentle, humble and well-read. He is from Olorunsogo local government.
2) Lanre Agoro: He represented Irepo/Oorelope/Olorunsogo federal constituency under the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) between 2007 and 2011. He later sought re-election under the APC but lost to a former state assembly member, Hon. Afees Jimoh. Not satisfied, the Igboho-born lawyer and agricultural scientist went to court and re-run was declared. He lost again. He has since joined the Labour Party. Out of the 10 local government areas in Oke-ogun where he comes from, the LP won only in his Oorelope local government area. He delivered the state assembly by-election to LP after the demise of the former occupant. He is rumoured to be nursing ambition to deputise Engr. Seyi Makinde of the Social Democratic Party.
3) Gbenga Babalola: The former senator and in-law of late garrison commander of Ibadan politics, Alhaji Lamidi Adedibu is being tipped to deputise the candidate of Accord. He hails from Iseyin.
4) Dauda Wasiu: Popularly called Azuzu, he was commissioner for environment and later executive assistant to Governor Abiola Ajimobi. The Iseyin-born politician is the current works and transport commissioner in th estate. He has grassroots appeal, especially in Oke-ogun.
5) Niyi Adeagbo: The alumnus of the University of Ibadan is currently caretaker committee chairman of Itesiwaju local government. His youthfulness may sell him.
6) Lowo Obisesan: The Ibadan-born former commissioner for environment is eyeing the deputy governorship candidate. The fashionistic lawyer is leaving no stone unturned in that regards. He is from Ibadan North West local government.
7) Saheed Akinade-Fijabi: If the APC settles for a christian from Oke-ogun as governorship candidate, the son of popular Ibadan socialite, Chief Ismail Akinade Fijabi, who is currently serving his second term in office, may be called upon. He is from Ibadan South West.
8) Adepeju Esan: Though the former state assembly member has her eyes on the Reps seat of Ibadan North federal constituency, she may be picked as a running mate if a Muslim from Oke-ogun part of the state gets the APC ticket. She is from Ibadan North.
9) Tajudeen Kareem: He was the only Reps member elected on the platform of the defunct Action Congress (AC) in 2007 but later defected to the PDP. He was re-elected in 2011 under the PDP but the Saki-born politician failed his bid to represent Oyo North senatorial district in 2015 as he lost to Sen. AbdulFatai Buhari. He is a member of the LP. He is from Saki West local government.
10) Monsurat Sunmonu: Though it is unsure whether the Oyo-born former speaker of the Oyo State House of Assembly has such in her mind, rumours have it that she may consider the position. The 58-year-old Senator represents Oyo Central senatorial district in The Senate under the APC. She is from Oyo East local government.
11) Olawumi Ogunesan: If the Ago-Amodu-born Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters retires before 2019, she is a favourite to clinch the number two position. She is from Saki East local government and Saki West by marriage.
12) Morohunkola Ambaliyu Thomas: The Ph.D holder and three-term commissioner in Oyo State may also be called upon to deputise an Oke-ogun or Ogbomoso governorship candidate. The Oja-Oba-born academic was Executive Assistant (Oyo South) and now Executive Assistant (Political) to Governor Abiola Ajimobi. He is from Ibadan South East local government.
13) Akin Olajide: The immediate past Secretary to the State Government of Oyo is also been tipped to take the number two position. The quiet politician and former MD of University Press hails from Ibadan.
14) Wale Okediran: The Ife-trained medical doctor once represented Iseyin/Itesiwaju/Iwajowa/Kajola federal constituency in the House of Representatives. The governing council member of the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Ogbomoso, aspired to represent Oyo North senatorial district under the APC unsuccessfully in 2011 and 2015.