The Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Saliu Adetunji has given reasons for not attending yesterday’s celebration of the nation’s 57th Independence anniversary.
The event, which held at the Main Bowl of Lekan Salami Sports Complex at Adamasingba in Ibadan, the state capital, was attended by members of the State Executive Council (Exco), heads of ministerial and extra-ministerial boards, agencies and corporations.
Traditional rulers at the event included the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi; the Otun Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Lekan Balogun; the Balogun of Ibadan, Oba Owolabi Olakuleyin and the Ashipa Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Eddy Oyewole.
Oba Adetunji’s reserved seat was unoccupied throughout the period of the programme.
Others were security chiefs, including, police commissioner, the General Officer Commanding the 2 Mechanised Division of the Nigerian Army, High Court judges and members of the House of Assembly.
The Olubadan said he would not have attended an event to which he was not invited.
The monarch’s media aide, Mr. Adeola Oloko, said though he was not at the palace yesterday, but he was not aware of any invitation as at 11 a.m on Saturday he left the place.
Oloko said if the palace did not get the government’s invitation to attend a programme that would hold less than 24 hours later, why would anyone expect the monarch to honour it?
But when told that a source had hinted that the monarch’s invitation was delivered at 11 a.m on Saturday, the aide said he was not aware of such invitation at the same time he left the palace.
He said: “I have not been to the palace today (Sunday) but I can tell you that at 11 a.m when I left the palace yesterday (Saturday), no invitation had been delivered to the palace from the state government.
“But when I get to the palace, I will find out if any invitation was delivered to the palace. But come to think of it, if no invitation had been delivered to the monarch as at 11 a.m (on Saturday), which was barely 24 hours to an event, then what are we talking about?”