The National Broadcasting Commission, NBC, has released the list of broadcasting stations that have been sanctioned for various breaches in contravention of the provisions of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code in the fourth quarter of 2017.
The list included Splash FM, Lagelu FM, Inspiration FM and Oyo State-owned Oke-ogun FM.
A statement signed by its head of public affairs, Mrs Maimuna Jimada, disclosed that the contraventions include breaches of the rules on vulgar lyrics, unverifiable claims and hate speech amongst others. All the erring stations have been sanctioned in various categories according to the provisions of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code.
It added that the “commission wishes to re-iterate to all broadcasters that they have a duty to promote the socio-economic well-being of the Nigerian state and abide strictly by the provisions of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code.”
A detailed list of the erring stations and the sanctions applied is attached.
Profile of stations fined between October and December 2017
1) Inspiration FM, Ibadan | Ogunrege | unverifiable claim to increase libido and endorsed by the presenter | N100, 000.
2) Inspiration FM | Tiwa N tiwa | Endorsement of sponsor by presenter| 100, 000.
3) Splash FM | Voicing of advertisement by newscaster and endorsement of sponsor by presenter| 100, 000.
4) Splash FM | Advertisement of condom before stipulated time | 100, 000.
5) Oke-Ogun FM | Advert- unverifiable claim by trado medical practitioner to cure infertility | 100, 000.
6) Lagelu FM | Unverifiable claim by trado medical practitioner to cure various diseases| 100, 000.
7) Lagelu FM | Misrepresentation of news | 100, 000.