Today is the birthday of the Senator representing Oyo Central Senatorial District, Monsurat Olajumoke Sunmonu. Insideoyo.com brings you 7 notable things about her.
1. She was born on 9 April 1959 to a royal lineage in Oyo kinship.
2. She became the first female speaker in the history of Oyo state in June 2011 and she is the only female former speaker of the Oyo Assembly.
3. She is the first female Senator from Oyo Central Senatorial district and the first female senator from Oyo state.
4. She is the founder of the MOSWEF foundation, an NGO designed to alleviate the living conditions of women and youth
5. Sunmonu is the sponsor of the ‘Accident & Gunshot Victims Act 2018’ signed into Law by President Muhammadu Buhari which guarantees that hospitals must treat gun shot patients before requesting police reports or payment
6. Sunmonu facilitated the budgeting and resumption of work on the Oyo-Ogbomosho expressway after 7 years of negligence.
7. Sunmonu studied law, accounting and secretarial studies at various institutions in Nigeria and the UK.