Major opposition parties in Oyo State have come together, under the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, to form an alliance to dislodge the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, as the 2019 elections draw near.
insideoyo.com reveals some of the big names that may be reckoned with in the scheme of things:
1) Rashidi Ladoja can be said to be the leader of the opposition PDP in Oyo State being the only former governor in the party. Since he joined politics, he has always enjoyed people’s support but his long stay in Accord, many people observed, almost depleted his camp. From 4 House of Representatives’ and many Assembly members in 2011 to nothing in 2015. He did not only lose his local government in the last election, the two state assembly seats in his LG went in favour of the ruling APC. Few days ago, he declared his intention to run for the chairmanship of the PDP. That notwithstanding, he is one of the ‘stars’ to watch out as he has huge followers.
2) ‘Jumoke Akinjide may be a woman by gender but politically, her character resembles that of a man. Many even argued that if she were a man, she would have been one of the top contenders for Agodi Government House as 2019 draws near. She was said to have edged out former Senate Leader, Teslim Folarin out of the PDP. In the 2015 election, when it was obvious the opposition could not tackle the APC in Oyo State, Jumoke, who is the daughter of Nigeria’s former Justice minister, rallied opposition elements but she was not successful as ambitions divided majority of them. She is said to be close to Sen. Ahmed Makarfi and other top Abuja politicians, a connection she was said to have made during her days as FCT minister. She represents Ona-Ara LG in the caretaker committee.
3) Ayoade Adeseun is a two-term former Reps member. When the PDP was troubled, he, alongside others, were there for the party. The Iresaapa-born former ACN senator is a force to reckon with especially as he is rich. He represents Surulere LG in the caretaker committee.
4) Femi Lanlehin is a former senator. This was after he had represented one of the Lagos federal constituencies in the House of Representatives. The lawyer, a former APC member, joined PDP from Accord where he is respected. In just few years after he left APC because he was unsure of getting the party’s governorship ticket, he has become the darling of many supporters of Ladoja. In fact, he is seen as the next to Ladoja if the former doesn’t contest 2019 guber polls. He represents Ibadan North West LG in the caretaker committee.
5) Seyi Makinde is not new to PDP. He started his politics with PDP, though he has had a brief stints with the defunct All Nigeria Peoples Party, ANPP and Social Democratic Party, SDP, under which he contested the last gubernatorial election. Apart from his financial wherewithal, he is one of the few ‘youngsters’ younger elements within the party are yearning for as governorship candidate in 2019. He represents Ibadan North East LG in the caretaker committee.
6) Sharafadeen Alli has been around for long. For close to 30 years, the 54-year old is one of the most politically decorated personalities in the state being a former council chairman, enator, secretary to the state government, chief of staff to Oyo Governor and chairman of Odua Group of Companies. Alli, who was the running mate to former governor Adebayo Alao-Akala, who was the governorship candidate of the Labour Party, LP, in 2015, knows how the game is played. He represents Ibadan North LG in the caretaker committee.
7) Maroof Akinwande is a former member of the House of Representatives. The Oyo-born politician and veterinary doctor, who was the chairman of the Federal Capital Territory Education Board, controls a large army of politicians. He was said to have singlehandedly appointed the four members from Oyo in the caretaker committee. He represents Oyo East LG in the caretaker committee.
8) Mulikat Adeola Akande is a two-term former member of the House of Representatives. Despite the fact that her benefactor, Alao-Akala, defected from the PDP, she stayed put but lost her third term re-election bid. She is believed to be eyeing a deputy-governorship slot. She represents Ogbomoso North LG in the caretaker committee.
9) Hosea Agboola has also been around for long. The Igbojaye-born former senator is a force to reckon with, especially in the 10 Okeogun local government areas where he hails. He represents Itesiwaju LG. In the caretaker committee.
10) Ajibola Muraina was the caretaker chairman of the party in the state during its turbulent times. The Igboora-born two-term member of the House of Representatives, who represents Ibarapa Central LG in the committee, together with Bimbo Adepoju (Ibarapa East LG) and Mukaila Aborode (Ibarapa North) can defend Ibarapaland for PDP.