Oyo state governor, Senator Abiola Ajimobi has explained why multiple traditional institutions is good for the people of Ibadan and the state.
The governor stated this on Sunday, 27th of August 2017 at the historical Mapo Hall, during the crowning ceremony, presentation of certificates and staff of office of Obaship to High chiefs and the thirteen baales in Ibadanland.
He said: “we are not changing tradition, we are not changing the culture of Ibadanland; rather, we are elevating and consolidating our traditional institution, the exalted position of the Olubadan of Ibadan as the Imperial Majesty in Ibadanland, the Olubadan-in-Council and the Chieftaincy Institution without altering or tinkering with the traditional succession and ascendancy system of the Olubadan Chieftaincy structure”.
Governor Ajimobi in his speech listed five benefits of the multiple Obas in Ibadanland:
The logical question at this point is what do we stand to gain with this review.
1. The review enhances the status and title of the Olubadan as the supreme ruler of Ibadanland who shall be addressed as His Imperial Majesty, the Olubadan of Ibadanland. Indeed, of what significance is a Field Marshal without Generals.
2. It reiterates the supremacy of the Olubadan of Ibadanland and conforms to the cultural realities and traditional settings within Oyo State and beyond as we have multiple Obas in Egbaland, Igbajo, Ijebu, Lagos and in all the Yoruba States of the Federation.
3. With thirty three new Obas, the review rovides further justification for the upgrade of Ibadanland to the status of a State.
4. The new Royal Majesties and Royal Highnesses will from be accorded due local, national and international recognition with prestige deserving and worthy of their status as Royalties.
5. The attendant socio – economic benefits of this review cannot be overemphasized as individual domains of our new Obas, Ibadanland and Oyo State in general are bound to witness tremendous growth and development, particularly at the grassroots.
The governor charged the new Obas to use their elevated Royal positions to promote peace and unity of the Citizenry.
“To whom much is given, much is expected.
“As Traditional Rulers, I implore you to distance yourselves from anything capable of tarnishing your esteemed position.
“We also congratulate the Olubadan of Ibadanland and advice that Kaabiyesi should remain the father of all Ibadan citizens and not allow himself to be used by disgruntled as observed in his recent utterances which tend towards the political. It should be noted that Obas are not expected to play politics.
“Our Administration believes that the Chieftaincy Institution is a sacred one and we hold it in high esteem.
“I therefore congratulate all Ibadan indigenes at home and abroad, especially those being conferred with Obaship status today for this historic achievement.
Governor Ajimobi assured all the Kabiyesis that the Government will not relent in its efforts in transforming and repositioning Oyo State.