Two days ago, former governor Adebayo Alao-Akala clocked 67 years on earth. InsideOyo presents some of the things you may not know about him.
1) He was born on June 3rd, 1950.
2) He attended Osupa Baptist Day School, Ogbomoso.
3) He was at Kamina Barracks Middle School, 5th Battalion of Infantry Tamale, Ghana.
4) He was at Government Technical College, Tamale, Ghana.
5) He attended Ogbomoso High School, Ogbomoso.
6) He was at the University of Ibadan.
7) He has Diploma in Business Administration (1998).
8) He was a Police officer.
9) He enlisted as Cadet Inspector of Police in June 1974 at the Nigeria Police College, Ikeja.
10) He was at the Metropolitan Police Training School, Peel Centre, Hendon, London.
11) He also attended the Administrative Staff College, Topo, Badagry.
12) He attended the Nigeria Institute of International Affairs (NIIA), Victoria Island, Lagos.
13) He was at Police Staff College, Jos.
14) He was at Command and Staff College, Jaji.
15) He participated as a Nigerian delegate at two INTERPOL Conferences in Nice, France and Malaga, Spain.
16) He was a Station Officer in the Nigeria Police.
17) He was Administrative Officer, Federal Operation, Federal Headquarters, Lagos.
18) He rose to the position of Operations Officer, FEDOPS, Lagos.
19) He was a Personal Assistant to the Assistant Inspector-General of Police and subsequently the ADC to the Inspector-General of Police.
20) He was O/C, Advanced Training Wing, Police College, Ikeja.
21) He was Divisional Police Officer, Bode Thomas, Lagos.
22) He was Divisional Police Officer, Iponri Police Station, Lagos.
23) He was Railway Divisional Police Officer, Nigeria Railways, Ebute Meta, Lagos.
24) He was an Area Commander, Western District, Nigeria Railway Police, Ibadan.
25) He was CSP Admin. Gongola State Command, Yola.
26) He was SP Admin. Kwara State Command, Ilorin.
27) He was an Assistant Commissioner of Police, Agodi Area Command, Ibadan, Oyo State Police Command, Ibadan.
28) He retired in September 1995 from the Nigeria Police as Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of Logistics and Supply, Oyo State Police Command, Eleiyele, Ibadan.
29) He was a council chairman.
30) He was elected vice-chairman of ALGON, Oyo State Chapter between 1999 and 2002.
31) He was a deputy-governor.
32) He is the first deputy-governor to be governor of Oyo State.
33) He is the first and only person from outside Ibadan, the state capital, to become Oyo State Governor in Nigeria’s Fourth Republic.
34) He was awarded Doctor of Civil Law (DCL) Honoris Causa, LAUTECH, Ogbomoso (2006).
35) He was honoured with a Doctor of Science (Political Science) Honoris Causa, Lead City University (2008).
36) He founded TDB Global Ventures, headquarter in Lagos, that has many branch in Ogbomoso.
37) He is a polyglot; he speaks English, Yoruba, Hausa, (Twi, Fanti and Dagbani) and Ghanaian Languages fluently.
38) He is widely traveled.
39) He has published more than three books; Training of police cadet Inspectors: Prospects and Problems (May 1985), Police and The Media: A Critical Approach (June 1990), Conflict Resolution and Crime in Local Governments (Sept. 2004).
40) He is Otun of the Source.
41) He is Otunba of Akinmorin.
42) He is Bobajiro of Owu Kingdom.
43) He is Basorun Atunluto of Akure.
44) He is Mayegun of Okeho.
45) He is Akogun of Ilua.
46) He is Aare Asoludero of Ibarapa.
47) He is Agbaakin of Iseyin.
48) He is Ariwajoye of Ede land.
49) He is Atunluse of Ife Odan.
50) He is Balogun of Igbojaye land.
51) He is Aare Kebimapalu of Oyo State.
52) He is Bobagunwa of Ogbomosoland.
53) He likes reading and traveling.
54) He has visited all the 36 states of Nigeria and Abuja.
55) He has been to over 10 countries in the world.
56) He is a member of Ikoyi Club 1938.
57) He was President, Rotary Club of Ogbomoso.
58) He is the current President, Ogbomoso Recreation Club.
59) He is married and has several children.
60) His son, Olamiju, is currently a council boss.
61) He has contested the governorship seat thrice.
63) He owns Parrot FM radio station in Ogbomoso, Oyo State.
64) He is a Baptist.
65) He likes partying.
66) He is a member of APC.
67) As governor, he built the LAUTECH Teaching Hospital, Ogbomoso; one of the projects that has made him a ‘bulldozer’ in the politics of his native Ogbomosoland.