The Oyo state Governor, Senator Abiola Ajimobi last Thursday said that attempts by previous administrations to institutionalize the health insurance in the state suffered “Abortion at different stages of the State Health Insurance Scheme, saying that his administration is committed to improving health care service delivery of the people.
The scheme, which is the first by a state government in the country, was applauded by stakeholders in the health industry in their goodwill messages at the flag off Ibadan.
Governor Ajimobi thanked the people of the state for their support for his government, noting that the results of his efforts to transform the state are manifesting.
The Governor said “we have taken Oyo State higher than we met it and we need to give back to the society. This insurance scheme is for everyone especially the poor and that is why we have pegged the registration to N200 naira only and monthly premium fee of N650 naira. It is free for children under age 5 and pregnant women.
“This health insurance scheme is one among the various health initiatives we offer our people to give them accessible and affordable quality health care. The free health, where several people are being treated, is presently going on across the state. We have improved safety and security across the state and we want our people to support our agriculture initiatives for food security. We are committed to making life meaningful to our people and everything humanly possible to achieve this will be done,” he added.
Governor Ajimobi appealed to the people not to deviate in their support for his administration and consequently urged them to get involved in the state Health Insurance Agency.
In their separate goodwill messages, the Chief Medical Director of University College Hospital, Professor Tope Alonge, the Managing Director/CEO Ultimate Health Management Services, Mr Lekan Ewenla and the Managing Director of Alafia Hospital, Mr Babatunde Agbaje commended the Oyo State Government and Governor Ajimobi’s administration for the initiative, saying that the scheme will give the citizenry access to quality health care.
Professor Alonge promised that UCH will partner will the state government to improve its health sector, appealing that the people should take advantage of this first of its kind health insurance scheme by a state government by being beneficiaries of affordable health care.
In his welcome address, the Commissioner of Health, Dr. Azeez Adeduntan said that there is no where in the world that health is totally free, explaining that health care is subsidized through health insurance scheme.
The Acting Executive Secretary of Oyo State Health Insurance Agency, Dr Sola Akande said that the health insurance scheme is backed by an enabling law for formal and informal sectors, saying gestation”.
According to him, “Under the Ajimobi administration, the pregnancy has been carried to term and OYSHIA scheme delivered. The scheme will cater for those who need the services, and even those who cannot pay.
It will promote a standard plan with a benefit package that covers over 90% of disease pattern in our communities while the remaining 10% will come with top up packages for interested residents.
“This scheme will provide immediate employment for 627 health workers and for the first time in the history of Oyo State, our local government health facilities will have more than one medical officer rendering services to the people. Some other residents of the state can be gainfully employed at biometric centres and vouchers’ sales points,” he explained.
Source: Nigerian Tribune