Insideoyo.com presents our readers 7 key quotes from Governor Abiola Ajimobi’s speech at the coronation of 32 new Ibadan Obas. Excerpts
1) Our resolve to reposition the Ibadan Chieftaincy institution is substantiated by the words of the famous author, Henry James when he said “A tradition is kept alive only by something being added to it”.
2) We are not changing history, we are not changing tradition, we are not changing the culture of Ibadanland; rather, we are elevating and consolidating our traditional institution, the exalted position of the Olubadan of Ibadan as the Imperial Majesty in Ibadanland, the Olubadan-in-Council and the Chieftaincy Institution without altering or tinkering with the traditional succession and ascendancy system of the Olubadan Chieftaincy structure.
3) Our administration is not the first to walk down this road. Successive governments in Oyo State have engaged in reviewing the 1959 Olubadan Chieftaincy Delcaration made pursuant to the 1957 Chiefs Laws and other related Chieftaincies in Ibadanland.
4) Our administration is not reinventing the wheel, we have simply like others before us, embarked on a review of the Olubadan Chieftaincy Declaration in response to the yearnings of well meaning stakeholders,
5) The event we are witnessing today is also borne out of our administration’s burning desire to redress the lopsidedness in the number of Beaded Crown Obas in Ibadanland vis-à-vis other zones in the state. While some zones have several Beaded Crown Obas, Ibadanland, which is renowned as the Political and Traditional headquarters of Yorubaland, has only one (1) Beaded Crown Oba.
6) This review enhances the status and title of the Olubadan as the supreme ruler of Ibadanland who shall be addressed as His Imperial Majesty, the Olubadan of Ibadanland.
7) Indeed, of what significance is a Field Marshal without Generals.