Prof. Adeolu Olumide Akande is 52 today. Inside Oyo, as usual, presents the 52 ‘other sides’ of the proudd Okeogun son. Enjoy reading.
1) He was born on July 3rd, 1965.
2) He was born in Idi-Arere, Ibadan.
3) He hails from Otu, headquarters of the current Itesiwaju local government of Oyo State.
4)His parents relocated to Lagos in 1970.
5) He started his primary education at Ansarud-Deen Primary School, Itire.
6)He was enrolled at Anwar ul Islam High School, Iseyin in 1976.
7) In 1981, at age 16, he completed his G.C.E Ordinary level at Anwar-Ul-Islam High School, Iseyin.
8) In 1984, at age 19, he passed his G.C.E Advanced level at the Oyo State College of Arts and Science, Ile Ife.
9) In 1987, at age 22, he bagged a B.Sc. Political Science with a second class (upper division) from the University of Ibadan.
10) In 1990, at age 25, he completed his M.Sc. Political Science at the University of Ibadan.
11) Between January and December 1990, he was Graduate Assistant at the Department of Political Science, University of Ibadan.
12) Between January 1991 and January 1993, he was a Reporter/Feature Writer/Member, Editorial Board, Nigerian Tribune.
13) Between February 1993- June 1995, he was Regional Editor(South West) of The Punch Newspapers, Lagos.
14) Between July 1995- February 1997, he was Deputy/Acting Editor Sunday Tribune.
15) At age 32, in1997, he bagged his Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) from the University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
16) Between May 1997 to October 1998, he was Editor-in-Chief/Executive Director, Omega Weekly Magazine, Ibadan, Oyo State
17) Between April 1999 to March 2001, he was Consulting Editor/Member Editorial Board, Nigerian Tribune, Ibadan.
18) Between April 1999 and March 2001, he was a Lecturer in the Department of Political Science, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
19) Between March 2001 to May 2003, he was Deputy Chief Press Secretary to the President, Federal Republic of Nigeria.
20) Between May and December 2003, he was Special Assistant (Research & Communications Strategies) to the President, Federal Republic of Nigeria.
21) Between June 2011 and September 2013 he was Chief of Staff to the Governor of Oyo State.
22) He was Chairman, Print Media Sub-Committee of the APC Presidential Campaign Organisation
23) He became a professor in October 2016.
24) He is currently a law student at the Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State.
25) He teaches Political Science and Public Administration at Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State.
26) He is Director of Centre for Presidential Studies
27) He is a Lead Consultant/Director of Image Edge Ltd.
28) He consults for Terra Firma Books, Finchley, London, United Kingdom.
29) He likes discussing politics.
30) In February 1997, he together with 3 others were dubbed “NADECO Reporters” were sacked by Nigerian Tribune.
31) The quartet went ahead to set up a pro-democracy magazine, Omega Weekly, with finances from people like Chief Bola Ige and Chief Olu Onagoruwa.
32) His secondary school mates include Alhaji Ahmed Raji (SAN), Chief Biodun Owonikoko (SAN), Alhaji Wasiu Oladimeji (Azuzu) the present Commissioner for Works in Oyo State and Professor Taofik Azeez of the Department of English Studies, University of Abuja.
33) His undergraduate mates at the University of Ibadan, include former Senate leader, Oloye Teslim Folarin and Mr Olu Daramola SAN.
34) At the post graduate level, his mates included Professor Wale Olaitan, former Vice Chancellor of the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye and Professor Said Adejumobi, of the Economic Commission for Africa.
35) He does not fly first class and business class.
36) He is the founder of Adeolu Akande Foundation.
37) He is a first of a family of 18.
38) Though a Christian, his best friend is a Muslim.
39) He got married at 36.
40) He has 3 children.
41) He is a ‘nomad’ as he has moved from one job to the other in the last 10 years.
42) He spends his spare time with his family.
43) He dreams of taking his family to Yankari Games Reserve in Bauchi State when there is an opportunity to go
44) He likes amala and gbegiri.
45) His favourite colour is white.
46) He likes socializing and watching football.
47) He likes writing, reading.
48) He travels a lot.
49) His mother is late.
50) He writes biographies.
51) He is a speech-writer.
52) He has several published and unpublished books.