The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has revoked the broadcast licenses of 52 broadcast stations across the country over-indebtedness to the regulatory commission.
The stations were owing the Commission N2.6 billion since 2015.
The debtor-stations include; Splash FM, Space FM, Africa Independent Television (AIT) and its sister radio station, Raypower FM; Silverbird Television, and 47 other stations across the country.
The director-general of the NBC, Malam Balarabe Shehu Ilelah, who made the announcement while briefing journalists in Abuja on Friday, said there was no political undertone in revoking the license of the debtor-broadcast stations.
Ilelah urged the stations to pay their fees before 24 hours to avert total disconnection.
Earlier, in May 2022, he said the NBC published in the national dailies, the list of licensees that are indebted to the Commission, and granted them two weeks to renew their licenses and pay their debts or consider their licenses revoked, frequencies withdrawn and the withdrawn frequencies reassigned to others who are ready to abide by the necessary requirements.
Ilelah said three months after the publication, some licensees were yet to pay their outstanding debts, in contravention of the National Broadcasting Commission Act CAP N11, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004, particularly Section 10(a) of the third schedule of the Act.
In view of this development, he said the continued operation of the debtor-stations is illegal and constitutes a threat to national security.
“Therefore, after due consideration, the NBC hereby announces the revocation of the licenses of the under-listed stations and gives them 24 hours to shut down their operations. Our offices nationwide are hereby directed to collaborate with security agencies to ensure immediate compliance,” the NBC DG stated.
See list below:
1. Silverbird TV (Silverbird Communications Co. Ltd)
2. Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Abuja
3 Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Lagos
4. Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Yenagoa
5. Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Port-Harcourt
6. Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Jos
7. Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communication Ltd) Benin
8. AIT/Ray Power FM (DAAR Communication Itd) Network
9. Greetings FM (Greetings Media Ltd) FM Network
10. Tao FM (Ovidi Communications Ltd) FM Okene
11. Zuma FM (Zuma FM Ltd) FM Suleja
12. Crowther FM (Crowther Communications Ltd) FM Abuja
13. We FM (Kings Broadcasting Ltd) FM Benin
14. Linksman International Ltd, Keffi
15. Bomay Broadcasting Services Ltd, Abuja
16. MTV (Murhi International Group Ltd) Ibadan
17. Classic FM (Pinkt Nigeria Ltd) Port-Harcourt
18. Classic FM (Pinkt Nigeria Ltd) Lagos
19. Classic TV (Pinkt Nigeria Ltd) Lagos
20. Beat FM (Megalectrics Ltd) Lagos
21. Cooper Communications Ltd, Lagos
22. Splash FM (West Midlands Ltd) Ibadan
23. Rock City FM (Boot Communications Ltd) Abeokuta
24. Family FM (Kalaks Investments Nig Ltd) Ilugun
25.Space FM (Creazioni Nig Ltd) Ibadan
26. Radio Jeremi (Radio Jeremi Ltd) Effurun
27. Breeze FM (Bays Water Ltd) Akure
28. Vibes FM (Vibes Communication Ltd) Benin
29.Family Love FM (Multimesh Broadcasting Co. Ltd) Port-Harcourt
30. Wave FM (South Atlantic Media Ltd) Port-Harcourt
31. Kogi State Broadcasting Corporation
32. State Broadcasting Corporation
33. Niger State Broadcasting Corporation
34. Gombe State Broadcasting Corporation
35. Lagos State Broadcasting Corporation
36. Lagos DSB
37. Osun State Broadcasting Corporation
38. Ogun State Broadcasting Corporation
39. Ondo State Broadcasting Corporation
40. Rivers State Broadcasting Corporation
41. Bayelsa State Broadcasting Corporation
42. Cross River State Broadcasting Corporation 43. Imo State Broadcasting Corporation
44. Anambra State Broadcasting Corporation
45. Born State Broadcasting Corporation
46. Yobe State Broadcasting Corporation
47. Sokoto State Broadcasting Corporation
48. Zamfara State Broadcasting Corporation
49. Kebbi State Broadcasting Corporation
50. Jigawa State Broadcasting Corporation
51. Kaduna State Broadcasting Corporation
52. Katsina State Broadcasting Corporation