There was a fire outbreak on Saturday at Nigeria Railway complex, Dugbe, Ibadan. The inferno, which started in the evening, razed down a number of shop, insideoyo.com has gathered.
Items destroyed included phone accessories, stationery, electrical appliances, among others, despite the swift intervention of the Oyo State Fire Services and concerned individuals.
The cause of the fire could not be immediately ascertained. Sunday Tribune, however, gathered that there was no power supply in the area the past three day.
One of the shop owners, who refused to reveal his identity told Sunday Tribune that he was still in shock, as he could not explain what actually caused the fire.
An aged woman, while lamenting the loss of her goods to the fire, said the incident would have been averted if it was immediately tackled.
She said: “I had closed and was ready to go home, but I noticed an unusual fire in the shop next to me. I instantly raised the alarm, but we could not help the situation, because people could not break in easily and it eventually spread to other shops.”
One of the officials of the fire service told Sunday Tribune that they were informed about the incident around 7.00 p.m. and they immediately rushed to the scene to stop the fire from spreading.